|Desert Oasis Apartments/Motel|
|Description of sign(s)|
1. Name: Desert Oasis Apartments/Motel
2. Owner: Volunteers of America/HUD
3. Address: 4445 Diamond head drive Las Vegas 459-6600
3b. Additional Site Details: The Desert Oasis Apartments is on the south end of the strip, south of the Pit Stop. The low rise tan stone structure of the apartments sits just east of the strip separated by a small parking lot.
4. Condition: Structure 4 Surface 3} Lighting 3
Notes: The surface of the sign is in fair condition, showing obvious signs of weathering.
5. Form: plyon
6. Specfic Description: The Desert Oasis Apartments is on the south end of the strip, south of the Pit Stop. The low rise tan stone structure of the apartments sits just east of the strip separated by a small parking lot. Just outside the main entrance, extremely close to the building, facing north south, two brown, sculpted, steel legs, support an internally lit message center. The two legs look to be representative giant Tiki heads. In the space between the legs, and on the bottom edge of the message cabinet, a clear plastic box hold neon sculpted into the words "Vacancy" underneath the word "No." The cabinet is painted a rusted color and the face is fluted plastic with vinyl lettering. Two square posts rise out of the top of the cabinet, a short distance, before they support a larger double backed internally lit cabinet. A center pole resides between the two legs, rising into the center of the cabinet as well. The cabinet is crafted out of a polished gold metal. The face of the sign is a graphically treated surface. Desert Oasis is written in red cursive script across the top of the sign. A small graphically painted green palm tree, sits just to the right of the text. The middle of the board is occupied by large all capital text reading "Motel," in black text. Two black horizontal scrolls flank the text. A band of red runs horizontally across the bottom of the sign, with white painted text reading "Apartments."
7. Type of Display: backlit
8. Media: steel, plastic
9. Non-neon treatments: graphics
10. Animation: none
11. Environment: The Desert Oasis is located between the Laughing Jackalope to the south and the Motel 8 establishment to the north. It stands very inconspicuous among the environment of the southern end of the strip, easily passed by the motorist or wandering pedestrian.
1. Manufacturer: unkn
2. Designer: unkn
3. Date of Installation: unkn
4. Date(s) of any major redesign/move: n/a
5. Thematic Influence: Even though the establishment fits into the genre of a roadside motel, the sign itself doesn't quite fit in to the motif. The building itself is reminiscent of standard architecture of the era and location, the sign itself has elements of a Polynesian flavor. The legs of the sign appear to be Tiki like figures, but the details are quite vague.
6. Artistic Significance: n/a
© 2019 University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Do not copy or reuse without permission.
Last modified Monday, 05-Apr-2010 18:35:10 UTC