|Excalibur Hotel and Casino|
|Description of sign(s)|
1. Name: Excalibur Hotel and Casino
2. Owner: Mandalay Resort Group
3. Address: 3850 Las Vegas Blvd.
3b. Additional Site Details: The Excalibur Hotel and Casino sits on the NE corner of Las Vegas Blvd and Tropicana Ave. While the main attraction is the brightly illuminated fantasy castle façade, the two giant multimedia pylon signs flank the property along the streets. One, on the South side of Tropicana, faces East /West, while the second sits on the West Side of LV Blvd., and faces North/South.
4. Condition: Structure 5 Surface 4 Lighting 5
Notes: See description
5. Form: plyon
6. Specfic Description: The two pylons are identical in design. They are both double backed, pylons containing animated incandescent Excalibur logos, neon borders, an animated, color, matrix message center, and a two dizzying renderings of jousting knights, constructed completely of neon, on either side. Constructed to appear as a medieval castle façade themselves, the signs are finished in stucco to appear as if built with stone blocks. The scroll shaped main logo sign box, the outline of the logo, the spires, and sword, are all outlined in neon. The 10'-6" channel letters contain white incandescent bulbs that animate.
7. Type of Display: neon, incandescent, matrix
8. Media: steel
9. Non-neon treatments: graphics, paint
10. Animation: chasing, flashing
Notes: The Excalibur logo, which is comprised of incandescent bulbs, displays a two part chase animation from left to right over the entire text, then in sequence, displays a flashing animation over the entire word before starting the pattern over again.
11. Environment: The two pylons are both in parking lots of their respected positions. Pedestrians may walk up to the one located in a public lot on Tropicana Ave.
1. Manufacturer: SSI Sign Systems Incorporated
2. Designer: Brian Leming
3. Date of Installation: 1989-90
4. Date(s) of any major redesign/move: The backlit plastic message board and old electronic message center, have been replaced by a single, giant animated, color electronic message board.
5. Thematic Influence: Excalibur capitalizes on the King Arthur/Renaissance fair theme.
6. Artistic Significance: Artistically the sheer magnitude, construction techniques and the magnitude of the themed facade are sincerely significant in the artistic developments of sign making. The pylons directly reflect those elements.
© 2019 University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Do not copy or reuse without permission.
Last modified Monday, 05-Apr-2010 18:37:42 UTC